We all love our pet dogs and consider them to be part of the family, and we wouldn’t want to be parted from our canine friends, unless we’re planning the annual holiday. In most cases, we can’t take our dog along, and finding a suitable dog boarding facility is the best alternative, and with that in mind, here are a few tips to help you source the best dog boarding facility in your immediate area.
- Registered with the State – Every dog boarding facility should be registered as such with the state, so please check that the facility you are planning to send your pet to is, in fact, a registered dog boarding facility. It matters not whether you are looking for dog boarding in Sydney or Melbourne, a Google search is the best place to start, then you will have a list of current websites that you can browse.
- Personal Visit – It is essential that you book a tour of the facility prior to actually taking your dog there, which will give you the chance to see for yourself, the kind of facilities and care they provide for their guests. Some dog kennels also specialise in dog training, which is an essential service for many dog owners, and prior to visiting, you should prepare a list of questions to ask the manager or owner. Can my dog have her own diet? Will she have the opportunity to socialise with other dogs? These types of questions need to be asked, so do take the time to prepare a few questions before the visit.
- Client Testimonials – Any dog boarding facility that has been serving the community for a few years should have some regular customers; people who leave their dog at the facility year after year, and by talking to a few regular clients, you will get a good idea about the service.
- Round the Clock Vet – It is essential that there is a qualified vet on duty at all times at a dog boarding facility, and this would be something the kennels would advertise prominently. Your dog would need to have his vaccinations up to date prior to being admitted into the facility, so do make sure that your dog’s medical history is updated.
- Love of Animals – The people who work at a dog kennels should have an instinctive love for dogs and all animals and this would be evident from the very outset. Knowing that your dog will be in a loving environment will allow you to rest and relax while on holiday, as you won’t be worried about your pet.
Once you have narrowed down your list to a couple of places, visit each and this will help you to make an informed decision. The ideal dog boarding facility would have a large outdoor exercise area and each dog would have their own personal space, where they can keep their bedding and toys, and with a balanced diet and lots of exercise, your four-legged family member will have a holiday just like you!